Fraunhofer growing in the UK
Fraunhofer UK Research Limited
Fraunhofer UK Research Ltd is the legal entity and headquarters organisation for Fraunhofer research centres in the UK. Fraunhofer research centres perform professional, application-oriented research and development services for, and with, industry. Fraunhofer also has a significant training mission and hosts and trains a large number of doctoral students every year.
Fraunhofer UK was created, following the instigation of UK government, with collaboration and financial support from:
- Scottish Government
- Scottish Funding Council
- Scottish Enterprise
- University of Strathclyde.
The first UK Fraunhofer Centre is based in Glasgow and builds on the strong photonics clusters in Scotland and other parts of the UK, and is for the benefit of the UK and EU.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organisation. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas. In short, we forge the future.
See you at Photonics West, San Francsico, 10 to 12 Feb.
Scottish Pavillion hosts Fraunhofer CAP.
Also exhibiting are: Fraunhofer IIS, IOF, ILT, IPMS, IPT, ISC, and HHI
It is now the UNESCO International Year of Light and Light Technologies.
See you in Paris for the official launch.
Fraunhofer CAP continues to grow with more than £12.5M of new project funds won for us and our collaborators since we started in late 2012.
Keep in touch with our news through
FraunhoferCAP on Linked-In
To benefit the UK economy by enhancing the performance of UK industry through innovation.
Providing professional R and D services to industry
Being a partner for UK companies in collaborative projects
Training the next generation of scientists and engineers
Global brand - local engagment
Fraunhofer UK Research Limited was created and established headquarters in Glasgow in 2012.
In partnership with Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, the proven model will be used to benefit the UK economy.
The first UK Fraunhofer Centre, the Centre for Applied Photonics was established at the same time and is actively engaged on a number of collaborative and contract research projects with UK photonics companies.
Facts and figures at a glance
Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft (Society), the largest organization for applied research in Europe
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, the largest organization for applied research in Europe
- 68 Fraunhofer Institutes and independent research units, at different locations in Germany
- The majority of more than 23,000 staff are qualified scientists and engineers
- €2 billion annual research budget totaling. Of this sum, €1.6 billion is generated through contract research. More than 70 percent of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft’s contract research revenue is derived from contracts with industry and from publicly financed research projects. Almost 30 percent is contributed by the German federal and Länder governments in the form of base funding.
- Research centers and representative offices in Europe, USA, Asia.